It is time for the world to take a new pledge in order to enable innovation and improved stakeholder outcomes from investment to accelerate.
As a public duty you need to get your family, friends and colleagues to undertake the following:
As of 1st January 2016, I pledge to:
- Not post, attach, forward or otherwise distribute this slide as if it is an infallible document for time immemorial.
- Furthermore I will delete from my social media accounts or any other communication tools anyone regardless of importance in my life who continues to distribute the slide, with particular venom for those who wait until late 2015, or worse, 2016 to discover it.
- Comprehend that disrupters will get disrupted. Disruption does not stop. Just ask LP records, CD’s and iTunes all about that.
- Understand that outsourcing and disrupting a process is not new. Nike does not make shoes, nor shirts. It is a lifestyle and aspirational marketing company. Hilton manages the overwhelming majority of the portfolio, not owns the properties, it is a hospitality marketing company. Jamie Oliver does not cook every meal in his 30 establishments, he is also a hospitality marketing company.
- Digital investments are critical but disruption is not just about technology, but that process, culture, regulatory environments and consumer/user behavior all matter even more than the technology.
- Finally, grasp that the more people I give my data to, the less control I have over it. I will not get my data privacy back if I hand it over.